From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Off in search of fall

I am surprised to discover something about myself I really did not know--my mood is affected by the weather. I always thought it was silly when people said they got depressed when it rained for days (got depressed because my hair frizzed, but not because the sky was gray)! I am finding I am becoming one of those people. When it rains for days I seem to have less enerygy; when it it really hot I am more grumpy, and when it is supposed to be fall and all the leaves are green I am a little frustrated.

When I look at the calendar I can confirm it is fall, but the temperature and the green leaves on the trees don't seem to know this. I spent so much of my life in Florida where the only way to tell it is fall is by looking at the calendar, and I am so very happy to be living in a place where we can feel crisp cool air and view gorgeous leaves of red, yellow, and orange. But this year the drought and heat wave is making that impossible. I am especially disappointed because my sister is here for a few days and I bragged last year so much about the fall colors that she came to she them this year. We will head up the road tomorrow for a few days of girl time in Helen, please pray for Edgar and the kids while I am away, but I am less than hopeful to see fall colors. Next weekend we join the Bishop clan in Cashiers, NC where it will be cooler, but most likely still green. None the less, it will be fun to see everyone and spend a few days away. Most of the family will spend the week, but we will come home on Monday as the kids have school.

When I contemplate the fact that the changes in weather can affect my mood, I am more grateful that we serve an unchanging God. The fact that He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow does not make me feel bored or frustrated, but rather secure and comforted that He is not affected by weather, my moods, or circumstances. When i remember that His love and care for me does not fluxuate based on my behavior I am amazed. He knows my heart, my inner most thoughts, my failures, frustrations, and yet He chooses to lavish me with His love and affection.

Today, although I miss the changes in leaf color I delight in the consistancy of our God.

No comments: