From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Reflections

Sometimes I am so filled with gratitude I can hardly hold it in.  Today is one of those days.  The sun is shinning on a gorgeous, crisp, and clear Georgia day.  My precious little boy is in the back yard doing one of his favorite things--playing with his dog.  As I sit on the sofa in my bedroom, in a house this is far nicer than I ever thought I would own, I am grateful  Grateful for a fenced yard, grateful for a dog is lets her master tie her to a wagon and lead her all over the yard trying to convince her she really is a sled dog.  Grateful for a child who innocently plays in his imaginary world with seemingly not a care in the world.  Grateful for a husband who supports his family well and loves us despite all of our inadequacies.

And then there is our daughter.  I can hardly believe that she will soon be 17 years old and preparing for her senior year in high school.  She recently had pictures taken by a local photographer who made her some cards to distribute to her friends in school in hopes of acquiring more business.  One of the pictures was used in a magazine to advertise for the studio--she is stunning.  Of course I think so because she is mine, but several people who have seen the ad have called to tell me so; it is validated.  The pictures show her outward beauty; I am grateful to also know her inward beauty.  She is stunning because she has a contagious smile that can light up a room, and a heart as big as all outdoors.  But her love for others and her willingness to give of herself is what really makes her special.  Today I was so proud of her as I watched her go up on stage to pray for a sixth grade girl from the small group she co-leads at church who was baptized at our Family Birthday Celebration.  She is an amazing young woman that daughter of mine, and I am so grateful to be her mom.

Then there is our church.  I know there are many wonderful churches and I am not trying to suggest that ours is superior to any of them, but I am so grateful to worship with such an amazing group of people.   Today I was especially grateful for my 5th grade team.  We have two greeters who not only efficiently check in over 65 regular attenders each week, remembering most of them by name, but who also greet an average of 10 visitors each Sunday and make them feel welcome and safe.  I was also grateful for small group leaders who met with their students, engaged them in conversation, and opened the Bible and shared truth from their hearts.  It was an awesome day and I am so grateful to be a little part of that ministry.  Most of all today I was grateful for a small group leader who travelled many miles, at personal expense, to be there for the boy from his small group was baptized today--what commitment; I am awed at such dedication.

I guess most of all I am grateful for a loving, forgiving, and merciful Heavenly Father who loves me and showers me with incredible blessings.  I am grateful for His precious Word that gives meaning to my life and reminds me of all I have for which to be grateful.

I know there will be many days when I am frustrated by the many things in a day that make my life difficult, fail to meet my expectations, and generally tick me off.  But for right now, I am just feeling grateful--it's a great feeling!

1 comment:

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

what a great gratitude journal, Christine!