From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Something is going on

While waiting to see if God was going to ask me to open a school, I was busy doing all I knew to do--I think I mentioned a few of those things in my last post.  The really surprising thing is that all the while I had a real peace about the whole waiting thing.  I seriously was not anxious or impatient, just peaceful.

I was not as peaceful regarding my son's education.  I know I am somewhat idealistic, but I want him to retain his excitement for school, his wake up in the morning before dawn and eagerly prepare for the day happy.  I also want him to learn, but more importantly, I want him to want to learn.  He used to.  But this year he is in the third grade and the majority of his education involves testing and preparing for testing.  If he is being fully educated it is not translating.  His joy of learning is fading, and that is leaving my spirit anything but peaceful.

Early in the school year I asked one of his former teachers if she would consider tutoring him.  She said "yes" and that helped some, but this is a year that requires the memorization of math facts and the ability to process abstract concepts in language and math--things that are difficult for a child who is just beginning to think abstractly.  And he has homework--I don't like homework.  He gets on the bus before 7:00 am and I pick him up from after care about 4:30.  That leaves 3 hours to have dinner, shower, brush his teeth and play.  Yes, play.  I think it is important to still be a child and play.  If he can't get it in the 7 hours he is in the classroom, then he is just not getting it and sending him home with more school work to be completed is just insulting; I don't like it.

Around Thanksgiving I began to suggest, jokingly of course, that she resign her job and just homeschool Ryan and a few of his friends--as it turns out she is tutoring several of them.  I painted a lovely picture of a shortened work day, the opportunity to inspire children, and help them accomplish individual goals.  Obviously she could not afford to do that, so I reluctantly dismissed the thought.  Evidently she did not.

Just after the first of the year she told me she had been given serious prayer and thought to what I had said.  I could not believe my ears, but decided I should further investigate the possibility of getting together a few kids and hiring her.  When I began to look into all that would be involved, things begin to happen so quickly, so easily, and so unexpectedly, my only conclusion had to be--"hmmm I wonder what God is up to?"   Let me tell you--He is up to alot!!  I will tell you more next post.

No comments: