From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

To my great, great, great grandchildren

One of my resolutions this year is to get back to working on my scrapbooks. I am not very artsy or creative, but I can copy great layouts and love to see all the pictures put together with memoribilia; I even try to journal. I have enough Creative Memory supplies to be a consultant, a space in the spare room dedicated to scrapbooking; now what I need is a Nike conviction: Just do it!! It was --easier with just one child--obviously she would inherit the albums, but we have two precious children so now I need to do double books--for a person who is creatively challenged this requires serious commitment! I think it is important and hopefully will be appreciated long after I am gone. I have only a few pictures of my parents when they were young and virtually no pictures of my grandparents. I would have liked to have had some of this history; there are some things that should be passed down. Lately I have been reminded of some other things that that should be passed down.

For Christmas my sister gave me the Sara Groves CD Conversations. It is not her newest, but it has some really great songs which I am learning to appreciate. One of my favorites is the cut, Generations. In this song she recounts the effect that Eve's decision has on all of us and applies that to us. The chorus and bridge are this:

Remind of this with every decision,
generations will reap what I sow.
I can pass on a curse or a blessing
To those I will never know

To my great, great, great granddaughter:
Live in peace
To my great, great, great grandson:
Live in peace

Not only is this a lovely song, but a great and convicting truth. So I am amending by resolution. I do want to get a few albums completed this year so I can give my children and grandchildren some tangible family history, but more importantly I want to carefully weigh my decisions so that I can bless them now and for generations.

No comments: