From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kids say the cutest things

During the month of December the children attempted to memorize the first 19 verses of the second chapter of Luke, and because of the poetic nature of the language, we opted to have them learn the King James Version.  To help them with understanding, we selected about a dozen of the words we felt they might not know and typed them on small cards with definitions on other cards, thus creating a matching lesson.  To introduce the lesson I reviewed them at group time by asking the children if they knew what the word meant.  The words included "abiding", "with haste", "espoused", etc.  Of course the children did not know any of these words, but then I asked if anyone knew what "abroad" meant, and one of the younger boys excitedly waved his arm, "I know, I know--a girl" he said proudly! :)

(BTW, they all learned the first 15 verses perfectly and most got all the way through verse 19!)

At lunch last Sunday, we were eating with my daughter and her best friend Maureen.  During the mealtime discussion my daughter told a story about her boyfriend who is a deployed marine.  Ryan thought for a moment and said, "Hey mom, Maureen and marine are homonyms, right?"  I think he is getting it!!

No comments: