From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No shaken birdie syndrome


One of the things I love to do is to change out some of my decorations inside the house with the change of season or holidays.  I mean, why only decorate for Christmas?  Of course I don't go all out but I change a few nick knacks and table decorations.  I have also added putting a wreath on the front door since we moved to Georgia.  A few months ago I saw a metal basket in a catalog and really liked it.  My dear friend, Billie, gave me one for Christmas and I put some silk flowers and hung it on the front door.  Just before Easter I found a bouquet of wild flowers so I got a couple and put in the basket--looks quite nice I think.

When I came home a few days ago I noticed there were a couple of birds on the front porch flying around and chirping like crazy.  I thought, "hmm, I wonder if they are making a nest up in the ceiling?"  So I looked around on the porch and didn't see a nest so I dismissed it.  Then a few days later I was in the house and saw birds on the porch again.  This time I stood and watched and noticed they were flying near my metal basket.  After they flew away I moved in to get a closer look and there was the beginnings of a nest!   Seems the birds liked my flowers, too!

So now I need to make a sign asking everyone to avoid the front porch and especially front door for a few weeks.  I think the birds are house finches, and I am really pleased that they have chosen to nest with us.  Because the door is glass we will be able to see them from the inside, but must be careful not to frighten mama bird away once she lays her eggs.  

I was able to snap a few pics while the birds were away gathering more twigs.  Isn't it amazing how birds, bees, and spiders build such intricate homes--our God is so creative! (Ok blogspot is having trouble uploading images right now--I will try to add photos later)

We do hope you will come visit us, we love to have company--but come through the garage door if you please, we don't want any 'shaken birdie eggs!"

No comments: