From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Tennessee Vacation

A few weeks ago I mentioned that we took a short family vacation and someone commented they would like to know more about that, so if you are still reading, let me tell you.

We went to Chattanooga for 3 days and had a nice, relaxing time. The city was not as big as I thought, which was a pleasant surprise. We went to Ruby Falls, which I had heard about for years, but did not realize it is an underground falls--several hundred feet underground. Lookout mountain is a long mountain, located in more than one state. When you visit Ruby Falls you begin by going down in an elevator a couple of hundred feet. Then you walk almost a mile underground in the cave. While we were walking on almost ground, the mountain above us was getting higher, so by the time we reached the falls we were almost 1000 feet underground. All of this was a little disconcerting to both Rachel and Edgar; strangely enough that did not bother me--my issues are with heights.

The falls were pretty, I think the water falls 45 feet and there are colored lights that have been placed there to give a lovely effect. It was cool and damp in the cave but not uncomfortable. The little boys did well with all the walking. We did not do the incline railroad, but it was a nice adventure.

A little surprise was that Lookout Mountain, the tourist part, is actually in Georgia! To get to it you start up the road in Tennessee, but when you get to the top you are in GA!! I remember seeing the signs for it all in TN and VA when I was younger, no signs in GA. I took my word for it that you can see 7 states, I looked, but with out the map lines it is hard to tell. The wildflowers on the path were really pretty and I did okay with the heights.

We also ate at one of my favorite places, one that we do not have in GA--Qdoba's! It was great! We also visited Cheeburger Cheeburger--a LOT of great American food! We ended our visit with a riverboat lunch cruise. The kids enjoyed the view and we had a couple of hours to just visit and relax.

We always enjoy time with family from CA. The boys are so cute together, the van ride with eight people is an adventure, and overall it was a great trip! There you have it!

No comments: