From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What we need is Change

I really love this time of year, especially here in north GA. The air is crisp, the sun is bright, and the leaves are turning millions of colors of red, yellow, and orange. I have already made the first batch of cabbage patch stew, and am considering getting out the hot chocolate. My fall decorations make the house seem so cozy and warm. The seasons are changing and it is exciting. It is interesting to me that when fall comes and everything changes I welcome that; usually change is difficult for most of us. Maybe it is because this change is so clothed in beauty; or perhaps it is because I have experienced this change before and am confident of the outcome. For whatever reason, I welcome the change in weather and am grateful fall is here. Change seems to be the buzz word during this election year, but all that is accompanying it is not very beautiful. We have two weeks left and there will be change; I only pray it will be a change for the better.

I strongly support our democracy and encourage everyone to vote, but I have also been reminded, in Proverbs 21:1 that "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases." The Lord is in control and regardless of who wins the presidency, His will will be done. He is not limited by man, good or evil, and should He choose to allow us to pursue our greedy and evil ways, that does not mean He will abandon us. I believe it does mean that Believers will be forced to sacrifice and live out our convictions more faithfully, and that may be a change for many. As Tony Campolo reminds us, "We are not called to happiness, but to holiness."

Yes, change is in the air, and I believe that for many Christians we may be on the brink of changing from somewhat of a complacent faith to an active testimony of God's grace. The leaves would never be the beautiful colors of fall were it not for the fact that they were dying. The Lord wants His bride, the Church, to be a beautiful witness of His love. The change we see in the future could be that she will need to die to selfish desires, and let His love change her to be a brillant, muliticolored picture to the world. I agree, it is time for a change.

No comments: