From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 4th

Thirty years ago today I opened Montessori Children's House on Merritt Island--what a long time ago--I don't FEEL that old.  In some ways it seems like just yesterday.  I had worked for my Bible College professor in Kansas in the little school she opened.  I saw all the work that she did and I spent two years getting to the little church building before dawn on Monday morning to set up the school.  Then I stayed late on Friday to pack it all up.  Those were long days, but I was young and it worked.  The children taught me so much and my professor, Betty, taught me so much.  When I moved back to FL I was sad to leave, but vowed to never open my own school--it was just too much work!

When I got back to Florida I worked several part time jobs, including doing some substitute teaching in some of the local elementary schools.  I saw some amazing teachers and some precious children.  I also saw many worn out, over worked and underpaid teachers who had no joy.  The "system" had drained from them the ideals and dreams that first inspired them to teach.  They were not bad people, they just lost their motivation to give their best and it was the children who paid the price.  Day after day I saw children whose eyes were once filled with curiosity and excitement gradually glaze over and they lost their self confidence.  I remember the day I came home and told my parents, "Even if I do everything wrong, I can do better than this."

Seventeen years ago today I had the honor of beginning my Montessori birth to three training--that was life changing.  Rachel was just a toddler herself and I learned so much.  Since that time I have not only opened several infant and toddler classes.  I have also been blessed to teach adult students some of the amazing things I learned.  This day early in February has significance for me in my Montessori career.

I believe opening a Montessori for older children who learn differently is what we are supposed to be doing at this time.  I don't have all the answers, we don't have all the funds, and I am not totally convinced that we have found the location.  I do know that there are children, my son included, whose eyes are beginning to glaze over and who are losing their self confidence, and even if I do everything wrong, I can do better than this, and I must.

No comments: