From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Yesterday was a very busy day!  I talked to my accountant to discuss getting on with filing our incorporation papers and filing for our 501 (c) 3 status with the IRS.  I knew this was an involved process and was prepared to put in the time necessary; I did not know how expensive it is!  For Pete's sake we are non profit, that means we don't have an extra $100,000 lying around to fund this project!!  Well, it is not that much, but it will cost about $2500 for him to do the work and then the IRS can take a year to tell you if they accept your application.  He suggested I do more internet research before I contract with him.

To make a long story short, I spent several hours researching, viewing sample bylaws--the writing of which is a big part of the process, and praying about approaching potential Board members.  I learned alot and think we will use a different, faster, a little less expensive, service to incorporate, but we must do that today! We also decided we are not ready to hire the grant coaching/writing service yet.  They, too are expensive, but until we have our status approved by the IRS our chances of getting funding are very slim.

Edgar and I talked again about how much more work this is to rent and renovate the house as opposed to locating a place to lease that would require much less work.  We feel the house is the best location, but determined to drive around a bit more and just look for a place to lease.  We then reviewed our commitment to this venture and our motive for doing it.

It is true that I feel this is my "life's work" and I have a strong passion for doing this well--I also have a basement filled with Montessori materials that really need to be used!  The real urgency for this though is our son.  Ryan is an amazing little boy whom we adopted late in our life.  Most of our friends have grandchildren his age, but we love him so much and are so grateful to have him!  He is struggling in school and I feel we can, and must do better for him.  We don't care if he makes great grades, we just want him to reach his God-given potential and feel great about himself.  He is on the Autism spectrum but we refuse to let that define him.  He learns differently and we praise God for those differences.  He should not be forced to remain in a system that requires he be measured against children who learn conventionally.  Scripture teaches that we should "train up a child the way he should go..."  The idea being that we should give support and structure to the personality, and development God intended.  He has two more years of elementary school and we must to everything in our power to make sure he can be successful.

Okay, I will get down from my soapbox, but I say this to say we are absolutely committed to opening a program this fall and are confident God will show us where it is to be and how we will do it.  For now I am working on the bylaws and a letter to invite Board members who share our passion and are willing to help us accomplish it.

One last note--the owner of the 7 acres called me to see what we thought about the property.  He also mentioned that a church was looking at it too!!!!!  I asked God what in the world He was thinking, (God and I go way back; He is not offended when I question Him).  I am reminded:  one step at a time, one step at a time.   This post should give you some specifics to pray about, and if any of you have suggestions/experience regarding the non profit filing and bylaws I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Michael and Christina said...

Wow, you've been busy since the last time I checked in! I'll be praying for you and that special, not-so-little-anymore boy. I love you so much and love him so much and love you more for loving him.