From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cinderella

We just learned that the Steven Curtis Chapman family has experienced a terrible tragedy today and we should all stop right now and pray God's mercy for them. Steven and Mary Beth are champions for children and for adoption. They not only adopted three daughters from China, but established an organization to help Christian families with international adoptions. Today, one of their teenage sons accidentally ran over their youngest daughter with the family SUV. My heart breaks not only for the family in general but especially for their son. I cannot imagine losing a child and the incredible pain they are experiencing. I certainly cannot imagine going through something like this without the love and comfort of our Savior.

I have recently come to love one of Steven's more recent songs: Cinderella. The song is a tear jerker anyway to anyone who has a daughter. In light of today's events, the words are almost haunting:

I dance with Cinderella, while she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
I dance with Cinderella, I don't want to miss even one song
All too soon the clock with strike midnight, and she'll be gone.

Oh God, let us never take our children for granted and when you do take them home give us your divine grace to ease the pain until we can be reunited in Your Presence.

No comments: