From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Monday, May 26, 2008

Empty Nesters

Sunday morning our birds left us. We actually saw them moments after they had all left the nest. The mama and daddy bird along with all four little ones were in the front tree chirping away and fluttering about. All too soon they were gone and we could take back our front porch. There was one unhatched, I presume infertile, egg left in the nest, and I feel a small sense of pride that the other four survived so well. I was going to keep the nest, but it has a 'crown' of bird poop all around the top, so I am rethinking that decision.

Edgar, Ryan and I spent a great day at the Atlanta zoo on Saturday while Rachel attended both a morning and afternoon class at Barbizon. Then Sunday because Upstreet and Extreme were closed, we all got to worship together as a family. Eddie Kirkland did an amazing job leading worship, and I have yet to hear Andy preach a bad sermon. In light of the sad news of Maria Chapman this week, his sermon on "When God says no" was most appropriate.

The pool is now open and Ryan is so happy. That boy could spend all day everyday in the water if we allowed it! Saturday evening we enjoyed a little informal bar-b-que with the four other families in our community who actually use the pool! It is great motivation for him to finish his chores early so he can spend long hours at the pool each day--ahh, summertime!

I hope you watched the National Concert last night on PBS. It was a moving tribute to our soldiers past and present who make it possible for us to live this free lifestyle we enjoy. I grew up in a family that emphasized patriotism; my dad was a WWII vet, but it is difficult to instill those values in my children as it is not really popular. We know a couple of people now serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and I need to remember to send emails and letters on a regular basis, not just on Holidays, to thank them for their service. We plan to spend a little more time today in memorial for the freedoms we enjoy.

Well, the Princess is still in bed, Edgar is playing with his new toy, I mean cutting the grass with the riding lawn mover he bought from uncle Jeff, Ryan is outside watching dad, and I need to head to the office to finish packing coffee. Have a great day!

No comments: