From the Word

"May they sing of the ways of the Lord, for the glory of the Lord is great." Psalm 138:5

Saturday, May 10, 2008

I remember. . . .

She was born in 1915. She lived through two World Wars, the Great Depression, The Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict and spent over 70 years in the work force. Her own mom died before she was 10 years old and she practically raised her younger brother while taking care of her dad. She made most of her own clothes, the few she owned, and learned to be quite a cook.

She loved to sing, and as a young woman shared a radio show with her best friend where she sang and played the piano. During this same time she worked as a waitress for a small diner and after a 12 hour shift would go dancing until all hours of the morning. Although a woman of high morals, she told me she "felt so sorry for the young men going to war, so she got engaged to a few of them--so they would have a reason to come home." I don't know how many actually did come home, but one young soldier from Oklahoma made it back and she married him. When I asked how daddy proposed, she replied, "He said, 'do you want to get married or something?', and I said, 'We'll get married or nothing!!'".

She never lost her work ethic. Yes, even in the 1950's when June Cleaver was the ideal wife and mother, my mom worked outside the home--she had to. It took two incomes to support her dad and we two girls. Even though finances were always tight she managed to save enough pennies from her grocery budget to make sure every holiday had special meaning and special treats; a box of conversation hearts at Valentine's, a hollow chocolate egg at Easter. We never knew that we were poor.

Mother never met a stranger. She would strike up a conversation with anyone she met and made friends with most of them. Her big smile and generous ways were her trademark, but she was no pushover. On more than one occasion I remember my father attempting to deal with a car repairman, insurance agent, or less than attentive sales clerk. If things were not progressing to his satisfaction, he would simply say, "Would you feel more comfortable speaking to my wife?", to which the answer was always the same, "Oh no sir, I'll be right with you!' Don't even asked how many times we would be eating out and see mom march back to the kitchen with a plate of food that was not prepared to her satisfaction!

Formal education was a luxury and completing the eighth grade was as far as she got. Her skills in math were exceptional, and at 48 years old she began working at a service station as their bookkeeper. The previous bookkeeper had kept most of the figures 'in her head', so it took mom over two years to fully reconstruct the books, but she did it, and kept them 'penny perfect' for many years. Two decades later, she taught herself how to use a computer to keep books for another service station.

Although I never heard my mom say an audible prayer, I know she prayed, often. She took us to church faithfully and lived out her faith to all who knew her. Once in an adult Sunday School class an insensitive teacher asked her a question to which she did not know the answer. She never overcame her embarrassment of that moment, and never returned to an adult class, but she did not forsake Sunday School. For over 27 years she served in the church nursery. "The babies have no idea if I can answer Bible questions, I just rock them and sing to them." (I am confident that in the last 11 years she has been in heaven she has found some babies to rock!)

When I was in college, Roe vs. Wade was a very hot debate and I mentioned to her that when the mother's life is in danger, or the viability of the fetus was at stake, certainly abortion would be OK, wouldn't it? She then told me that when she found herself pregnant at 37 years old with her second child, the Dr.'s all advised her that to attempt to carry a child to term could endanger her life and the odds of the child being born healthy were slim. She thanked them for their medical advise, but reminded them that the child she carried was a gift from God and if He did not want her to have it, He would let her know. Nine months later she gave birth to her second healthy daughter, me.

Thirty seven years later when I became pregnant I found great comfort in the knowledge that giving birth at an older age ran in the family. I am so sorry that she did not live to see Rachel grow up and never even met Ryan. She would so have loved knowing them.

My mother was not perfect, but she was a great mom. She sacrificed much and did the best she knew how. I am so grateful for her strong will, her undying faith, and her unconditional love. I only hope I can be half as inspiring a mom as her I miss you mom, Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: